“I am thrilled
“I received the pillow last night after a long uncomfortable trip and knew from the moment I felt it that it would be perfect. When I finally got to bed after an even longer night I set my head onto it and knew I had found my forever pillow. It’s in a word, magical. It supported me while allowing my head and neck to remain in a line and didn’t surround me with extraneous material like most pillows – which makes me hot. I finally feel like my neck and head – and even face – have healthy support. My neck feel extended and supported as opposed to crunched. My face feels the same. The pillow also exudes finery in material and craftsmanship and natural elements – and I am sensitive to any and all chemicals and detected none. It’s beautiful, as is your company. After years of searching I am THRILLED.”
A great pillow
I would highly recommend this pillow. It is very well made and great for the neck. I also use it when I do yoga.”
“A great pillow
I was delighted to receive my Organic Buckwheat Hull Neck Pillow which arrived promptly. I have been using the pillow for several weeks now and my neck feels so much better. The main strength of this quality buckwheat pillow is its support and adjustability. Heat retention is also often minimal. I highly recommend buying this pillow from Eco Health Lab. You will receive excellent customer service and have a good nights sleep.”
I ordered two organic buckwheat mattresses several months ago, however, I purposefully waited a while before I wrote this review so that I could provide better feedback. I loved the mattresses the first night we slept on them, and still love them months later.
They are not very thick- maybe 2 inches- but super comfortable. The rows are well stuffed with hulls so you get firm support, but not so hard that it’s uncomfortable. I am a slender bony build and have no issues with hot spots. My husband tends to sleep hot, and he found these mattresses cool for sleep.
We have co-slept as a family, which meant someone got the gap between the two mattresses, and that was no problem as the gap is minimal. Have also slept sideways, so the rolls were vertical vice the intended horizontal, and this was also comfortable. I have a young child, hence all the crazy sleep positions.
Craftmanship on the mattresses is top notch. Beautiful seaming. Hidden zippers. Quality fabric.
While certainly an investment, I find the price for such a well-made organic product to be fair. In fact, we are considering purchasing another. In addition, when one considers that the mattresses should last a lifetime, with potentially only a refill of new hulls at some point, then the cost is actually quite a bargain.
For those who like super detailed reviews, here is further info:
1. Before taking the plunge and ordering, I had several extensive email exchanges with the company owner. She was very responsive and thoroughly answered each of my questions one by one. I also called the US number listed on the website and spoke with the owner’s sister, who while not as knowledgeable on the specifics of the mattress, was super friendly and pointed me in the right direction. Namely, to email the owner directly.
2. I had a special request, and therefore my order took a little while to prepare for shipping. But once the boxes shipped, UPS delivery was fast: four days from origin in Poland to destination in the Southwest USA.
3. I had been concerned about proper packaging as the mattresses should not get wet and one never knows what elements shipping boxes are exposed to enroute. But the owner promised it would be packaged well, and she did not disappoint. The outside of the box was shrink wrapped and the inner contents had a plastic film covering as well, as one can see in the pictures. One corner of the box was a little wet (I live in a very rainy state) but the inside was dry!
4. The mattress is not in the cover when shipped, but it’s not difficult to slip it in and zip it close. One of the concerns I had before ordering was that there would be residue from the hulls slipping through the mattress and/or cover. Not the case! After four months of daily use, to include rolling/unrolling the mattress every day…no mess. I unzipped the cover to check, and no hulls have slipped through the mattress itself either. The material is a thick, sturdy, tight weave. The picture shows how the mattress fits into the cover and one just needs to zip close.
5. I ordered two twin size mattresses with the intent to lay them next to each other. The owner had the great idea to create covers which zip together. Brilliant! This was a special order, hence the reason my order took longer to prepare. In the picture you can see how the two covers zip together.
Another picture shoes what everything looks like all together, and then rolled up.
Very easy to roll and unroll, even when zipped together. Rollability gives the mattress such versatility.
6. Each twin size mattress is 38 x 75 inches. On arrival, however, the mattress only measured 72 inches long. Over time some lengthening has occurred, approximately 1.5 inches have been gained due to the natural settling of the hulls. If we order again, I will probably request one extra tube in length simply because I am 5’9” and a little extra length is always nice. As we are using the mattresses on the floor the slightly shorter length has not been an issue. We sleep with a fitted top sheet so it’s possible that this has prevented the hulls in the tubes from completely settling and achieving the complete twin length.
7. We received pillows as a surprise extra gift. Love these as well. The pillows are filled with a good amount of hulls, so they are not flat, but rather, almost as thick as a standard polyfill pillow. There is however, still enough give that you can really nestle your head in. The combination of pillow and mattresses makes for superior sleep. In fact, my four-year-old daughter exclaimed on a recent trip after a night in a hotel, that she missed her buckwheat mattresses!
8. For those concerned that the mattress and/or pillow sleeps noisy due to rustling hulls, we have not found that to be the case. The mattress is tightly filled with hulls so really doesn’t rustle at all. The pillows are not as filled, so you can hear a faint rustle when you shift, but nothing we have found to be annoying.
9. My husband has many allergies, so another concern was that he not react adversely to the hulls. I am happy to report that the hulls are indeed anti-allergenic.
10. As I mentioned above, we sleep with a fitted sheet over the mattresses. The covers can be washed, but changing a sheet regularly seemed like a better option, so this is what we have elected to do. We also purchased wool blankets to lay on top of the mattresses but underneath the sheet to protect from any accidents. We do have a small child sleeping on the mattress after all. I have washed the pillow cases on cold and hung them to dry. No shrinkage and they dried soft. I have also washed the mattress covers once, also on cold, and hung to dry. No shrinkage, was able to put the mattresses back in the cover without issue.
11. For those wondering…we paid full price for everything. No discount or other gifts in exchange for this review. We just really love the product and wanted to provide some solid feedback for others who may be thinking of purchasing.”
“The best organic pillow ever
I love this pillow (especially its hard but very comfortable “feel”), of note I have not slept on pillow for the last 45 years because I was not able to fall asleep on a pillow. I recently found out about an old C5 compression fracture???? and was recommended to begin to sleep on a cervical pillow.
Happy I FOUND THIS GREAT POLISH COMPANY!”
I am amazed at how worthwhile the investments have been to get our bed in the healthiest shape we could after years of discomfort and painful mornings. The buckwheat husk mattress is exactly what I was hoping for, undyed, unbleached, breathing, feel surrounded by nature. I ordered an additional mattress like this but a bigger size, wonderful customer service. The fabric feels to the body as if it gives energy back- that provides us with the sense of revitalization. The effect of these fabrics on our living environment encouraged us to get rid of every synthetic thing in our home.”
“Relaxing Sleep on this Buckwheat Mattress!!! 😀
I ordered this buckwheat mattress and I couldn’t believe how comfortable it is sleeping on it!! You would think it would be too hard to sleep on it, but it’s really not. It keeps my back in a right position, and since I started to sleep on it, I don’t feel any back pain. It gives me a nice cooling and relaxing feeling that makes me not want to get up! 🙂 This quality of the mattress is top of the line! Super luxurious and the customer service is Amazing and lovely as well! I would like to thank Martynka and her family for such a wonderful job and for the lovely gifts that came along with it 🙂 I wish you all the best! And a Happy New Year 2018!!!”
– Halina with Family! <3
“I bought the buckwheat hull mattress and the neck bolster
I bought the buckwheat hull mattress and the neck bolster from ecohealthlab.com. My back feels very supported by the mattress, unlike a regular spring mattress where it feels like it is sinking and unsupported. Love the bolster, allows my whole body to lie correctly and supports my neck. The mattress rolls up easily so is nice and simple to use which I really like.
Got a lavender buckwheat pillow as an extra gift and it has a beautiful relaxing smell, especially for sleeping. Martyna at eco health lab was very helpful with the order. I will buy from the website again.
– Emma, Co. Louth, Ireland
“A must for chronic backache
I spend most of weekdays in hotel’s beds. I also suffer from severe intermittent lower backache. I have noticed that many beds are soft with lost of any “structure” around the area of lower back and buttock. This pillow IS A MUST for chronic back problem if you sleep on your back in lower quality or hotel beds. (I do not use it at home because I have hard surface custom made bed/mattress and 3 inches height under my lumbar is simply “too tall” for my home bed). Of note, I was looking for organic lumbar pillow all over the internet without success. I contacted Martyna who immediately “made it happen”. Thank you very much.
I ordered a mattress and the customer service was excellent. The mattress was very well made. I am very satisfied with the service and quality of product from this company.”
“Excellent customer service
I ordered a custom made mattress from Echohealth. The customer service was excellent, and the product was very well made.”
“Love my organic buckwheat mattress : )
I feel so blessed to have found the organic buckwheat mattress. I’m so happy with it. The organic fabric is such high quality and it’s hand made. Beautiful.
There are no toxic chemicals and it does not have the footprint that a western conventional mattress has…. So big and bulky with synthetic materials that emit loads of volatile organic compounds/toxins. Since I have gotten rid of my western mattress and switched to the organic buckwheat mattress and switched my pillows to buckwheat and also organic cotton, my allergies have gone away.
The experience of this mattress is unique — I never want to be without one ! It is very firm and it is excellent for the body.
Martyna, the owner, is fantastic ! I can’t say enough good about doing business with her. Lovely.
The mattress shipped UPS to the United States in four days and was wrapped very well. The exterior packaging was very durable. I had some concerns about it traveling so far but there was no issue and I have received four mattresses.
I have loved every product I’ve bought. Pillow cases are gorgeous materials, the mattress case is awesome too.
The mattress needs to lay on a flat surface which we retrofitted an 18” tall bed frame which had slats. We just had some extra slats to make a solid platform.
This pillow is amazing. It regulates the temperature of my head on the pillow. Synthetic fabrics hold in heat and don’t let my head breathe so I don’t care for them.
It is fairly heavy but that is not a problem.
I really like that I can add some buckwheat or take some away as needed. The organic cotton case is such high quality.
It contours beautifully to my head and neck.
Love it !”
“Comfortable and supported sitting
I purchased this pillow for my mother. She can be hard to please, but…she LOVES this pillow. As you can see in the attached picture, she has fastened the pillow to her chair. It is in daily use.
The pillow allows her to comfortably sit upright, allowing the spine to naturally align correctly, easing lower back tension. As the spine is in proper alignment the mid back and neck are also more relaxed and the shoulders are less curved. Makes for a very comfortable and supported sitting position.”